FROSTY'S FUNHOUSE

For many of you, this will be one of the most interesting rides you'll probably ever go on. My life is a bumpy journey full of of chills and thrills, so jump in and buckle up. I'll be sure to supply plenty of popcorn.

Monday, September 19, 2005

PS3 = Too Much Stuff?

Since I expressed some of my opinions on the Revolution “remote control”-ler and will continue to add to them over the next few days, I thought I would jump over to the Sony side and express some of my problems with the PS3 design. Obviously, I can’t really comment on the controller, since it’s supposedly in the middle of a redesign right now, so I’ll focus on the actual console instead.

In general, I think that Sony is (pardon the phrase) trying to pimp out the PS3 a little bit too much. The inclusion of certain features seems unnecessary and will probably add considerably to the final retail price. As far as I’m concerned, just because Microsoft is selling its upper console package for $400 doesn’t mean Sony needs to. I’m hoping they are still trying hard for that $300-350 zone. Anyway, here is a list of features that I tend to disagree with:

  • Secondary HDMI port – How many people are actually going to be able to afford two HD-capable televisions or want to carry their PC monitor and have it next to the PS3? I can’t imagine very many. Granted, dual-screen Gran Turismo would be hot, but I would expect that very few games would follow that lead. I just don’t see the importance of this second port.

  • 2.5” HDD slot – If Sony doesn’t pack-in the HDD as a standard device then you might as well forget about it being much of a success. Just take the slot out and save a few bucks. Most developers aren’t going to support it anyway considering the debacle that was the PS2 hard drive.

  • USB 2.0 ports – I like USB ports because they allow for the easy addition of cool new peripherals, as well as keyboards and mice. However, are six of them really necessary? Just throw in 2-3 and then sell an external hub that people can buy if more ports are needed.

  • Ethernet ports – There are currently two output ones and one input. I say, throw out the 10BASE-T output port and just have one input and one output. Again, people can buy a switch box if more outputs are required.

  • I/O - I can understand the inclusion of a memory stick slot, since the PSP has one and countless Sony products have them, as well. Also, it will be the standard game save format for the console. However, do we really need both a SD slot and a CompactFlash slot? Granted, these would probably only run about $1 in actual cost, but why does the PS3 need them? Just plug your digital camera into a USB port and stream the photos that way. Better yet, let the PS3 grab them from the PC that's hooked up to it via a ethernet cable.

  • Disc-loading mechanism – It’s cool… there’s no doubt about it, but having a slot-loading drive increases the cost of the system and could possibly add to the potential of drive problems. The general rule of “the less moving parts, the better” still holds true and I would expect that Sony could still come up with a cool-looking console even if a drive tray (or a caddy slot) was included instead.

    Those are the main features I could live without in order to guarantee a lower retail price for the PS3. The quicker the system can get down to a more mainstream price of $200, the better. What do you guys think?
  • 2 Comments:

    • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      All of those seem pretty reasonable, but they might as well just drop the ones that have a significant cost involved. I think they should keep the hard drive, those things are getting really cheap and should be pretty reasonable to use as a big memory card for stuff. Even if developers don't care about it, it could be fun/useful for storing downloadable content or just plain big ass Madden files.

       
    • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Yea, but the problem is havent they already moreorless stated the drive wont be utilized for the PS3? Or weren't they sorta flip-flopping around on the issue to make the drive possibility at launch seem a bit flaky at best?

      If that is the case, the majority of developers have by now just gone ahead and said "to hell with it" and develop games that wont need the HD. If a company says they will have a HD at thier very first press conference, then gets flaky on me on the second and third, I would be a bit angry if I was a developer. What would happen if I had tried to produce a game that needed that drive, only to find out they ditched it 6 months before release? That costs me money, big time.

      I think Sony is sitting pretty at the top, and some egos are getting ahead of themselves. I almost feel like Sony fought hard to attain that top spot, but now that the competition has been "quelled" so to speak, they have slacked off ever since. Microsoft is picking up speed and seems to be a crowd favorite, which I find odd, since the majority of Xbox owners have most likely been burned by a Microsoft OS at one point and time. :-P

      I personally feel like PS3 is talking at this point, and not producing much action in the industry. Perhaps it is just me seeing it that way, but I found it odd to depend on Konami this past week to pimp Sony rather than showing off thier own power. But they DID finally showcase a handful of titles like GT5, Warhawk, and Armored Core 4 the last day. They are looking good too. But that still doesnt deter my thought that perhaps Sony has gotten too big for its own good. Gates has a mentality to crush competition, and he does not give up easily. Sony had that same mentality when it went against the then-giant Nintendo. But since it attained that top spot, it seems to have slowed to a dull roar on competition. Or produced items that are generally retooled editions of past titles. I cant say Nintendo is innocent of this either. They fell into it with the Gamecube when they manage to only now produce one Mario Title per system.(A true one, not these Mario type games that are another game completely but use Mario for name recognition)

      I honestly dont mind what happens to any of the companies this generation, since they all claim to offer up things I, as a consumer cant live without. I just hope that it remains competitive and not kill me with sequels year in and out.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home